Q: What can I do to improve my dry eye condition?
A: To reduce the symptoms of dry eye disease, the American Optometric Association recommends that people do the following:
• blink often when reading or viewing a computer
• increase room humidity at home and at work when possible
• wear sunglasses outdoors to help prevent drying by wind and sun (wrap around sunglasses are best)
• eat foods high in essential fatty acids, such as salmon, walnuts and kidney beans, which may help decrease dry eye symptoms in some
people (more research is needed to see if this is true, but these foods are healthy for other reasons too)
• drink plenty of fluid: 8-10 glasses of water each day